Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Harrods Food Department -88





It was early 1988, I had bought a last minute ticket to London, stayed at a shabby 2 star hotel. The hotel was as shabby as you can expect, dripping water from the ceiling, broken springs from the bed pierced my buttom through the mattress and the bathroom down the hall shared with many others. If that was not enough there was a clear black rim along the bathtub, it was revealing how really bad it was, and how often the bathroom was cleaned.



I was not going to let this discourage suprise ruin my vacation and instead I found other ways to stay clean while I explored the town.


At the hotel there were many young people like myself and we connected. One friend I met had been to London more times he could count on his fingers alone.

He took me around town for a whole day, and we explored Hyde Park, Kensington Park, Speakers Corner, Bond Street, Picadilly, yes, we went everywhere until my feet were aching profusely. We finally ended up at Harrods and it made an impression on me that will stay with me for the rest of my life.


Walking down the food hall was an amazing experience, every counter were filled with delectable culinary experiences. I was so taken a back with the pillar of bread that was embracing and the delicatessen with the fresh made salads, and pates. The bakery section was overwhelming, did not know what to choose from, and looking into my wallet was the last resort that told me what I should pick from. I bought a bavarian cream filled donut, sugar coated.


I took this bread creation to the Kensington Park, and planked down on a park bench while watching the Queens Horse Guard parading down the street, further down the street you could watch the tourist clinging on to the gates steel bars to see a glimpse of something in the courtyard.

My first bite of the donut was like an explosion of flavors, from the bread and the cream. It was so good, I had to savor every bite, and I regretted not buying a second one, now my feet were too sore to even walk back into Harrod's to buy another one. This was not the last time I would have this donut from Harrod's, every day, for as long as my stay was in London, I walked to Harrod's everyday, and had my donut for breakfast, and I ate it at the park and watched people walk by.


If you ever take a trip to London, Harrod's is the place to visit for sure, and don't forget to visit the food hall for breakfast or your lunch. Pack it up and take it to the park, nothing taste better than eating it outdoors.



No comments: